Hope your week is going well and you have recovered from the excitement of Black Friday and Cyber Monday!
Following on from the post on how to block your embroidery this week I am going to talk about how to mount your embroidery. This is the method I use – it is quick and easy and can be removed from the board for cleaning if at any time it gets dusty over the years.
Why Choose Acid Free tape and boards?
The acid from standard materials may cause visible damage such as discoloration to your fabric & embroidery over a period of time. Unlike standard tape & mount board, the acid-free variety can be detached from the artwork years later and prevents damage to the embroidery fabric.
You will need:
Acid free foam board – I use Elmer’s Acid Free foam boards which can be purchased on Amazon . The boards are 3/16 inch thick which is a perfect thickness.
2) Acid free double sided tape. I use Yarn Tree’s Stitchery Tape which can be purchased from Amazon, but any good acid free tape will do.
Step By Step Directions
- Cut a piece of foam board slightly bigger then your embroidery. I like to leave a good 3 inches all the way around to allow flexibility for size of frame and mount. Ready Made Frames. (If using a ready made frame, cut the board to fit the frame).
- Center your embroidery & fabric on top of the board and place a few pins along the top edge to keep in place.
- Turn over and attach two pieces of double sided tape along the top and bottom edges.
- Pull the fabric over the tape and push down onto the adhesive to secure. Remove the pins.
- Repeat on the other side. You need to stretch & pull the fabric as you are doing this to ensure there are no creases on the front – it should be drum tight.
- Now attach another two pieces of double sided tape on either side and repeat the process.
I like to secure a piece of card on the back (use some of the double sided tape) to give a nice neat appearance and then I place inside a clear cellophane bag to keep it clean.
Mounted Embroidery – not a wrinkle in sight, and the best part of it is that it takes 10 minutes at the most to do!
New In The Shop
La Redoute morning glory pattern is now available for sale in the shop. It is available as a pattern kit without threads or there is an option to purchase a thread pack with 1m of each of the Au Ver A Soie silks used in the project.
The same option is available for the Malachite Kingfisher.
These are the last new designs for the foreseeable future, I am working on a few new designs and hope to be able to share them with you early next year.
SHOP CLOSURE FOR CHRISTMAS PERIOD
Please take note that we will be closed from 18th December to 2nd January. Last orders on 17th December.
Till next time wherever you are in the world, keep smiling and happy stitching.