Today I wanted to dye some white linen to give it an antique look for a specific project, and thought you may find it helpful to see the process and the results. I prefer coffee over tea for this as it creates a beautiful soft antique shade, see for yourself here is the method:
I used the premium linen fabric available in my online shop but it would work with any white linen or cotton.
- Wash fabric.
2. Half fill a large pot with water and bring to the boil.
3. Add approx 4 tablespoons of pure coffee granules. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes till the coffee has dissolved. Allow to cool slightly so it is not boiling hot.
4. Immerse fabric in coffee solution. Leave to soak for about 30 minutes for a light – medium shade, 15 minutes for pale and about 1 hour for darker. I left it for 30 minutes.
5. Remove fabric from solution and rinse thoroughly in clean water till the water runs clear – lay on a clean fluffy towel. Roll up to remove excess water and allow to dry.
6. Iron with a hot steam iron to remove creases.
Process complete you now have a gorgeous shade of antique linen!
Till next time wherever you are in the world, keep smiling and happy stitching.